The Department of Funding and Disbursements primary functions are:
- Oversee the accounting, claims, vouchering, and expenditure reporting of all state and federal grant funds to school districts and other service providers;
- Collect all special education student data and process claims for reimbursement;
- Calculate and present special education residential and tuition per diem rates for approval by the Illinois Purchase Care Review Board;
- Oversee all student transportation provision of service as well as process claims for reimbursement;
- Approve district petitions that a serious safety hazard exists for students that walk to school due to criminal gang activity;
- Process all state and federal child nutrition reimbursement claims;
- Calculate allocations for Local Education Agencies that are entitled funding under the Every Student Succeeds Act and IDEA Part B.