School Business Services
School District Reorganization Feasibility Studies
FY 2015 Grant Funds - Procedures and Allotment
Printer Friendly Version (10/14)
Feasibility studies are a tool to be used by school districts wanting to investigate the advantages and/or disadvantages of reorganization options. Each feasibility study must contain specified performance items, conclusions and/or recommendations for each performance item of the study, and a final conclusion and/or recommendation on the reorganization options for the districts involved in the study.
The procedures for requesting funds to conduct a school district reorganization feasibility study during fiscal year 2015 are:
- Interested school districts shall negotiate a proposed agreement to secure the services of a consultant to conduct a reorganization feasibility study. The agreement must contain (but not be limited to):
- Effective Dates
- Consultant fees (state grant funds and local funds, if any)
- Performance Items of the study (including but not limited to):
- Demographics / Academic Testing
- Extra-Curriculum Activities
- Justification of and recommendation on type of reorganization and combination of district(s)
- If approved, the ROE/ISC signs the agreement form and submits to the School Business Services Division (SBS) of the State Board of Education
- If denied, the ROE/ISC returns agreement to the school districts with a letter of explanation
- If approved, SBS notifies the ROE/ISC of the approval. A signed copy of the agreement form will be returned for ROE/ISC records.
- If denied, SBS notifies ROE/ISC of denial and returns agreement for further work or clarification
- If approved, the ROE/ISC signs the payment form and submits to SBS along with a copy of the final study. An electronic version of the study is preferred for submission to SBS.
- If denied, ROE/ISC provides written notification to school districts with explanation of denial; if needed, the study should be returned to the feasibility consultant for further work or clarification
- If approved, SBS notifies the Funding and Disbursement Services Division to voucher the appropriate funds for release to the ROE/ISC. The Illinois Comptroller will make the payment of the appropriate funds.
- If denied, SBS notifies ROE/ISC of denial and returns study for further work or clarification
In order to receive the reorganization feasibility study funds, all studies must be completed and approved for payment no later than June 30, 2015.
A conclusion and/or recommendation must be included for each component in the study. A final conclusion and/or recommendation on reorganization options for the districts involved must be included in the study. Studies lacking required components will not be approved for payment.
REQUEST HOLD ON FUNDING
A “hold” may be requested for feasibility study funding by completing the Request for Feasibility Study Funds form. This will allow districts the time to complete the agreement with their consultants without fear of losing funding. A hold will be granted for 30 days from the receipt of the Request for Feasibility Study Funds form. If a completed and signed agreement is not received within 30 days the hold on the funding will be released. The funds will then be available for general distribution on a first come-first served basis.