For Immediate Release
October 17, 2011
Illinois State Board of Education begins budget development for FY 2013
SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) is launching a series of public budget hearings as it prepares its Fiscal Year 2013 education budget recommendation for the Governor and General Assembly. The series will begin with a 4 p.m. hearing Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2011 on the fourth floor Board Room at the Illinois State Board of Education offices in Springfield and continues with four more public forums in the coming weeks across the state.
“Public feedback in the budget making process is extremely critical in these tough economic times because it provides insight into local priorities and puts a face to the more than two million students served through state funds in Illinois public schools” said Finance and Audit Committee Chairman James Baumann. “We know that local school districts have already made difficult decisions in the past couple years as they address declining state and local revenue as well as an unknown future. We will continue to advocate for increased education funding and welcome citizen input at these hearings as we draft a comprehensive education budget recommendation.”
Local funds, specifically tax revenue, account for about 55 percent of all school funding in Illinois while state funds account for 30 percent and federal funds fill in the remainder at about 15 percent. The ISBE has consistently advocated for increased state funding in recent years but has seen an overall decline of $650 million from Fiscal Year 2009 to the current year, Fiscal Year 2012, through the state budget making process.
As part of the budget process, Governor Pat Quinn appointed a new Education Funding Advisory Board (EFAB) in 2009. After more than a year of meetings and analysis, that board recommended a $4 billion increase to education, which would provide an $8,360 per-pupil Foundation Level versus the current $6,119 per-pupil Foundation Level. The EFAB recommendation includes an increase in the per pupil amount of the Supplemental General State Aid Poverty Grant to better help students from low-income families.
Those who are unable to attend one of the five public hearings are encouraged to email any guidance or feedback to ISBE at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The ISBE’s Finance and Audit Committee’s public budget hearings for Fiscal Year 2013 will be conducted at the follow dates and locations:
- Wednesday, October 19 — 4 p.m. to 6p.m. — Springfield — ISBE Office, 4th floor Board Room, 100 N. First Street, Springfield
- Monday, October 24 — 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Edwardsville — Jon Davis Wrestling Center, 6168 Center Grove Road, Edwardsville (Across the street from the high school)
- Thursday, October 27 — 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Champaign — Ford Counties Regional Office of Education, Robeson Pavilion Room A & B, Champaign Public Library, 200 W. Green St., Champaign
- Tuesday, November 1 — 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Wheeling — Wheeling School District 21, Administration Office, 999 W. Dundee Road, Wheeling
- Tuesday, Nov. 29 – 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Chicago — Room 16-503, James R. Thompson Center, 100 West Randolph Street, Chicago