For Immediate Release
March 14, 2011
State Superintendent celebrates success of 17 Madison County Honor Roll Schools
Annual list recognizes improving and high-performing schools across state
Marine — The Illinois State Board of Education recognized 17 Madison County schools today for being named to the 2010 Illinois Honor Roll. The schools were honored during a school assembly at Marine Elementary School in Marine.
“These 17 schools reflect each category of the Honor Roll showing improvement and maintaining excellence over time,” said State Superintendent Koch. “This kind of academic achievement requires that everyone at school and at home is working extraordinarily hard to keep growing and learning. We commend administrators, teachers, parents and students for their commitment.”
The 2010 Illinois Honor Roll recognizes 834 schools across the state for their continued academic progress. The honor roll is divided into three categories – Spotlight Schools, Academic Excellence and Academic Improvement. Each award has unique criteria that best reflect the diverse circumstances of Illinois schools.
- Spotlight Schools – Recognizes 300 high-poverty, high-performing schools that are beating the odds to overcome the achievement gap.
- Academic Excellence Awards – 459 schools have sustained high performance over at least three years.
- Academic Improvement Awards – 93 schools are showing substantial improvement.
The Madison County schools received awards from all three categories and are listed as follows:
Roxana CUSD 1
- South Roxana Elementary School (Spotlight)
Triad CUSD 2,
- Marine Elementary School (Excellence)
- St. Jacob Elementary School (Excellence)
Venice CUSD 3
- Venice Elementary School (Improve)
Highland CUSD 5
- New Douglas Mid-Elementary School (Excellence)
Edwardsville CUSD 7
- Columbus Elementary School (Excellence)
- Woodland Elementary School (Excellence)
Granite City CUSD 9
- Niedringhaus Elementary School (Spotlight)
Collinsville CUSD 10
- Webster Elementary School (Spotlight)
- Summit Elementary School (Spotlight)
- Twin Echo Elem School (Spotlight)
Alton CUSD 11
- Gilson Brown Elem School (Spotlight)
Madison CUSD 12
- Bernard Long Elem School (Academic Improvement)
East Alton SD 13
- East Alton Middle School (Spotlight)
- Eastwood Elementary School (Spotlight)
Wood River-Hartford ESD 15
- Lewis-Clark Elementary School (Spotlight)
- Hartford Elementary School (Spotlight)
A complete listing of the 2010 Illinois Honor Roll Schools can be found online at http://www.ilhonorroll.niu.edu