Substitute Teaching License
(Updated November 22, 2013)
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- Valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, prekindergarten through grade 12.
- Note: Substitute licenses are valid for 5 years, and may be renewed if the individual passes an approved Illinois test of basic skills. An individual who has passed an IL test of basic skills will not be required to retake the test for subsequent renewals.
To make application:
- Submit an application online in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
- A $75 fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted (please have a credit card available).
- Send an official* transcript showing an awarded bachelor’s degree to the following address:
Illinois State Board of Education
100 N. 1st Street
Springfield, IL 62777
*Note: To be official, transcripts must be submitted in the sealed envelope from the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes.
More questions? Please contact your Regional Office of Education.