Educator License with Stipulations (ELS): Endorsed as a Paraprofessional Educator
Requirements (Updated 7/20/15)
A paraprofessional educator endorsement on an educator license with stipulations may be issued to an individual who:
- Is at least 20 years of age and;
- Holds a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent (GED) and has met one of the following requirements:
Refer to Educator License with Stipulations Endorsement Requirements (7/15)
More information about Licensure can be found in the FAQ document.
Application Process (Updated 1/1/15)
- A submitted application and fee in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS); and
- Evidence of a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent (GED); and
- ONE of the following:
*Note: To be official, transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or not sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes.
Submit your documentation to the Educator Licensure Division at the address below:
Educator Licensure Division
Illinois State Board of Education
100 North First Street
Springfield, IL 62777
A $100.00 application fee is required and will be paid online when the application is submitted. (Fee increase effective January 1, 2015)
How did the Move to Licensure Affect Individuals Holding an NCLB Paraprofessional Approval or a State Paraprofessional Approval?
NCLB Paraprofessional Approvals
- NCLB paraprofessional approvals were exchanged for a paraprofessional educator endorsement on an educator license with stipulations. License holders need to register their license but are not required to pay the registration fee of $50.00 ($10.00/year for five years) for the first five-year cycle. The license will be valid until June 30 immediately following five years of the endorsement being issued. The license does not automatically renew, but it may be renewed through application and payment of the appropriate fee.
- An individual who holds only a paraprofessional educator endorsement is not subject to additional requirements to renew the endorsement.
- NCLB Paraprofessionals may provide instructional support in any school that includes programs supported by Title 1. Requirements for obtaining the paraprofessional endorsements are listed in the Requirements section at the top of this page.
State-Approved Paraprofessionals (No longer issued after July 1, 2013)
- State-approved paraprofessionals are not able to obtain a paraprofessional endorsement on an educator license with stipulations unless they meet the requirements for an NCLB paraprofessional. Individuals holding the state-approved paraprofessional approval have maintained this approval in the switch to licensure. There is no registration fee for this credential.
- To receive this approval, the applicant had to hold a high school diploma/GED and earn 30 semester hours of college credit from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- State-approved paraprofessionals may not provide instructional support in programs funded by Title 1, Part A.