Educator License with Stipulations (ELS): Endorsed as a Paraprofessional Educator
- Be at least 20 years of age and;
- Show proof of one (1) of the following requirements:
Refer to Educator License with Stipulations Endorsement Requirements (3/17/16)
More information about Licensure can be found in the FAQ document.
To make application:
- Submit an application online in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
- A $100 fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted (please have a credit card available).
- Send an official* transcript to the following address:Illinois State Board of Education
100 N. 1st Street
Springfield, IL 62777
And other documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Note: To be official, transcripts must be submitted in the sealed envelope from the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes.
How did the Move to Licensure Affect Individuals Holding an NCLB Paraprofessional Approval or a State Paraprofessional Approval?
NCLB Paraprofessional Approvals
- NCLB paraprofessional approvals were exchanged for a paraprofessional educator endorsement on an educator license with stipulations. License holders need to register their license but are not required to pay the registration fee of $50.00 ($10.00/year for five years) for the first five-year cycle. The license will be valid until June 30 immediately following five years of the endorsement being issued. The license does not automatically renew, but it may be renewed through application and payment of the appropriate fee.
- An individual who holds only a paraprofessional educator endorsement is not subject to additional requirements to renew the endorsement.
- NCLB Paraprofessionals may provide instructional support in any school that includes programs supported by Title 1. Requirements for obtaining the paraprofessional endorsements are listed in the Requirements section at the top of this page.
State-Approved Paraprofessionals (No longer issued after July 1, 2013)
- State-approved paraprofessionals are not able to obtain a paraprofessional endorsement on an educator license with stipulations unless they meet the requirements for an NCLB paraprofessional. Individuals holding the state-approved paraprofessional approval have maintained this approval in the switch to licensure. There is no registration fee for this credential.
- To receive this approval, the applicant had to hold a high school diploma/GED and earn 30 semester hours of college credit from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- State-approved paraprofessionals may not provide instructional support in programs funded by Title 1, Part A.