Special Education Assignability
NOTICE TO HOLDERS OF SPECIAL EDUCATION ENDORSEMENTS
Holders of the LBS I credential may be assigned to serve students with the following disabilities: learning disabilities, social/emotional disorders, mental retardation (EMH or TMH), physical handicaps, autism, or traumatic brain injury.
Holders of the LBS I/Limited credential may be assigned to teach only students for whom he or she holds a pre-existing credential (endorsement or approval), except that students with one additional disability may be taught at the same time. The limitations on the Standard LBS I/Limited credential remain in place for three years for persons who are teaching on that credential and then automatically expire. For individuals who are not teaching on their special education credentials, the limitations will automatically expire after seven years. The limitation on the Initial certificate will remain through the four year validity period. However, teachers may choose to remove the limitations earlier.
Removal of Limitations on LBS I / Limited
Teachers may remove the limitations on their LBS I/Limited endorsements before they automatically expire through any one of the following methods:
- Completing the training sequence developed by ISBE;
- Completing college coursework necessary to qualify for an endorsement or approval in one of the areas from the other side of the LBS I equation (covering the "missing" characteristics and methods);
- Passing the test of subject matter knowledge for one of the areas from the other side of the LBS I equation (relevant to a "missing" disability);
- Presenting qualifications for additional endorsements or approvals that satisfy the LBS I equation;
- Passing the LBS I examination available beginning January 1, 2003;
- Submitting verification of three years' full-time teaching experience in an area for which the teacher does not hold an endorsement or approval (ISBE Form 73-83); or
- Submitting verification of three years' full-time experience teaching students with autism or traumatic brain injury (ISBE Form 73-83).
Teachers who wish to remove the limitations before they expire must submit the required evidence of meeting the above qualifications along with ISBE Form 73-85. ISBE forms are available online at http://www.isbe.net/licensure/html/forms.htm.