Equal attention to Learning Supports is essential so that:
- Every student will demonstrate academic achievement and be prepared for success after high school;
- Every student will be supported by highly prepared and effective teachers and school leaders; and
- Every school will offer a safe and healthy learning environment for all students.
Dependent and delinquent youth can be considered some of the most vulnerable youth and are at significant risk for academic failure.
Strategies for working with this population include:
- the promotion of social, emotional, behavioral, physical, and academic competencies;
- the promotion of feelings of autonomy, connectedness, and competency;
- a safe, caring, responsive, and participatory school climate;
- transition supports;
- engagement with parents or caregivers;
- summer and off-season enrichment activities;
- positive behavior interventions and supports; and
- progress monitoring and targeted interventions as needed.