College and Career Readiness
Comprehensive System of Learning Supports
Equal attention to Learning Supports is essential so that:
- Every student will demonstrate academic achievement and be prepared for success after high school;
- Every student will be supported by highly prepared and effective teachers and school leaders; and
- Every school will offer a safe and healthy learning environment for all students.
School Climate - Teaching and Learning
School climates that promote cooperative learning, group cohesion, respect and mutual trust improve learning environments. Establishing relational trust is foundational to creating a positive school climate. Relational trust is high in schools that demonstrate the following behaviors:
School climate is positively impacted when teachers:
- genuine listening to what each person has to say and taking other people’s views into account in subsequent actions;
- when disagreements occur, opinions are respected;
- people extending themselves beyond the formal requirements of a job definition or a union contract;
- reaching out to others;
- competency in core role responsibilities; and
- follow through on commitments.
- attend to the students’ social and emotional well-being through direct skill instruction and modeling SELcompetencies;
- utilize personal student data which encompass each student’s learning style to inform teaching practices and meet the individual and collective needs of the students in his/her classroom; and
- provide students with opportunities to apply classroom lessons to real life situations (e.g., authentic projects that embrace collaborative learning with a civic mission).