Illinois Learning Standards
Stage A - Fine Arts—Drama
Students who meet the standard understand the sensory
elements, organizational principles, and expressive qualities
of the arts.
- Identify uses of sound, movement, and space in drama/theater.
- Retell what happens in a story.
- Identify characters and setting in a drama.
- Identify the emotions of happy, sad, mad, and scared.
Students who meet the standard understand the similarities,
distinctions, and connections in and among the arts.
- Name one way each art form is different from the others
(e.g., music and drama use voice; dance and visual arts
- Describe the theme, idea, feeling, or story within an
art work (e.g., mood in "Starry Night", Peer Gynt
Students who meet the standard understand processes,
traditional tools, and modern technologies used in the arts.
- Name the three primary tools (i.e., mind, body, voice)
- Demonstrate ways the mind, body, and voice are used to
- Name partner strategies used to plan a drama.
- Tell what practicing/ rehearsing is in the development
of a drama.
Students who meet the standard can apply skills
and knowledge necessary to create and perform in one or more
of the arts.
- Demonstrate ways to use space, movement, and voice to
create emotions, characters, objects, or to imitate natural
- Follow directions.
- Demonstrate cooperation skills.
- Repeat simple text.
Students who meet the standard can analyze how the
arts function in history, society and everyday life.
- Listen attentively to and observe performances and art
- Name one occupation associated with each art form (e.g.,
actor, painter, dancer, musician).
- Name the four fine arts.
- Identify ways arts are used in celebration's.
- Interpret movements, sounds, and visual images in art
works made by self and others.
- Tell about a personal experience in the arts.
Students who meet the standard understand how the
arts shape and reflect history, society and everyday life.
- Connect images and sounds from a work of art to stories
about people and everyday life.
Return to Fine Arts Classroom
Assessments and Performance Descriptors