Funding and Disbursements
Students with Disabilities Reimbursement
The State of Illinois provides four state categorical pupil reimbursement fund sources for districts serving students with disabilities who require special education and related services. Such students may be eligible under:
- Private Tuition 105 ILCS 5/14-7.02
- Funding for Children Requiring Special Education Services
105 ILCS 5/14-7.02b
- Orphanage 105 ILCS 5/14-7.03
- Summer School 105 ILCS 5/18-4.3
State funding is appropriated by the General Assembly each fiscal year. Additionally, when necessary to provide an appropriate educational program, Federal Room and Board reimbursement per the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) may be available for school district placements. Depending on the eligibility of the student, reimbursement may be received in the current or the following fiscal year.
To access State funding or Federal Room and Board reimbursement, each student must be approved via the Special Education Funding and Child Tracking System (2/14) or FACTS. Districts requesting approval for orphanage students reported under Section 14-7.03 must clear eligibility checks to qualify for reimbursement. For students not clearing eligibility checks, districts will receive an electronic report and Section 14-7.03 Student Eligibility Verification (11/13) instructions to obtain clarification of information reported and/or additional information.
State Categorical Reimbursement
Students eligible for Excess Cost reimbursement per Section 14-7.02b or Orphanage reimbursement per Section 14-7.03 must calculate special education costs in accordance with 23 Ill Admin Code Part 130-Determining Special Education Per Capita Tuition Charge. Costs may be calculated by using the following ISBE forms:
- ISBE Form 50-66A, Special Education Tuition Cost Sheet
- ISBE Forms 50-66BL and 50-66BP, Special Education Documentation Sheet [you will need to download both the L – landscape and P – portrait versions],
- ISBE Form 50-66C, Special Education Tuition Bill and Claim Computation and;
- ISBE Form 50-66D (10/12), Special Education Depreciation Schedule.
Instructions for completing student reimbursement claims electronically as well as the related Special Education Tuition Cost Sheet forms can be found in the Reimbursement Procedures for Students with Disabilities (4/13). Resident districts of approved students may claim tuition or room and board costs for private facility placements in accordance with per diem rates set annually by the Illinois Purchased Care Review Board.
Special Education Summer School claims are required to be filed electronically via IWAS. Eligibility requirements for pupils claimed for summer school are:
- the pupil must be enrolled in one or more courses offered for at least 60 clock hours in the summer session;
- the pupil must be eligible pursuant to the requirements for continued summer school services per his or her Individualized Education Program (IEP) and;
- there shall not be a tuition charge to families to insure a "free, appropriate public education."
In order to claim Federal Room and Board reimbursement, the resident district must have an approved ISBE Form 34-37 (10/12), Application for Approval of Private Residential Placement Room and Board Reimbursement. This will allow a district to transmit a Special Education Room and Board Claim in IWAS. Claims are transmitted through IWAS by the resident district and are paid monthly at a pro-rated amount. If sufficient federal funds are available, all claims are paid at 100% at the end of the year.