The Illinois General Assembly passed the School Construction Law (Public Act 90-548) in December 1997, largely to address the shortage of classroom space due to population growth or aging buildings. The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) and the Capital Development Board (CDB) administer the program.
To date, the School Construction Grant Program has benefited 497 School districts in every region of the state and provided over $3.1 billion in state funds for building and renovating local public schools. The most recent round of funding in August of 2013 depleted all funds currently authorized for the program to date by the Illinois General Assembly and Governor. The Illinois General Assembly and Governor will need to approve additional appropriations and bond authorization before additional districts can be entitled from the 2004 through 2015 Application Cycle Listings.
For more information, please continue to visit links within this site, the Capital Development Board site or call the School Business Services Division at (217) 785-8779.
- Application Materials and Forms
- Public Act 93-0489 requires the Illinois State
Board of Education (ISBE) and the Capital Development Board (CDB)
to file a comprehensive assessment report of the capital needs
of all school districts to the General Assembly every two years
- 2015 Capital Needs Assessment Letter
- 2015 Capital Needs Assessment Survey Instrument
- Capital Needs Assessment Survey
Items of Interest
- Build Smart "School Construction Guidelines Handbook"
- Check out our Newly Constructed Schools!
- Flowchart of Application Process
- Sample Entitlement Letter and Certificate of Entitlement