Administrative Certificate Renewal
Individuals employed on an administrative certificate for any period of time during their certificate's validity period must complete professional development requirements in order to be eligible to renew their administrative certificate. Two separate requirements must be met in order to renew such administrative certificates:
- Completion of an annual Administrators' Academy course; and
- Completion of twenty (20) continuing professional development hours for every year of administrative employment.
Administrators' Academy Requirement
During each year of employment under an administrative certificate, administrators must complete one (1) Administrators' Academy course. Please note: Administrators' Academy courses must be completed annually during each fiscal year (July 1st through June 30th) in which the administrator is employed.
- Administrative certificate holders who evaluate certified staff must also complete "Introduction to the Evaluation of Certified Staff" and do so in addition to the annual Administrators' Academy requirement if they have not already completed this requirement in the past.
Professional Development Hours
Individuals employed under administrative certificates must also complete twenty (20) professional development hours for every year of administrative employment on their certificate cycle. Further, administrators must complete at least one professional development activity for each year of administrative employment.
For example, an administrator who is employed for the full five (5) years under his/her administrative certificate must complete at least five (5) professional development activities that total at least one hundred (100) professional development hours. If employed less than the than the full five (5) year period, a minimum average of 20 hours per year is required. That is, if the administrator works 2 years he/she must complete at least 2 activities with a total of at least 40 professional development hours; working 3 years requires at least 3 activities totaling at least 60 professional development hours.
Click here for a list of creditable professional development activities and the appropriate documentation required to be maintained.
Please note: professional development hours must be completed above and beyond the annual Administrators’ Academy requirement.
- What if I Am Both a Teacher and an Administrator?
- Entering Professional Development Activities on the Educator Certification System
- Submitting Your Statement of Assurance
- Checking the Educator Certification System for Approval Status
Still have trouble using the Educator Certification System (ECS) to renew your administrative certificate? Click here to view our ECS System Guide for the renewal of administrative certificates. The system guide is a step by step manual for using ECS to renew an administrative certificate.