ILLINOIS STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
State Board of Education Meeting
via video conference
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
ISBE Video Conference Room, James R. Thompson Center
14th Floor, 100 W. Randolph St., Chicago
ISBE Video Conference Room, 3rd Floor
100 N. First St., Springfield
This meeting will also be audio cast on the Internet at: www.isbe.net
- Roll Call/Pledge of Allegiance
- Consideration of and Possible Actions on Any Requests for Participation in Meeting by Other Means
- Public Participation
- Presentations and Updates
- Educator Candidate Diversity Meeting Follow-Up, Jason Helfer
- IBHE Liaison Report (Dr. Proshanta Nandi)
- *Superintendent's Report – Consent Agenda
All action consideration items listed with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted in one motion and vote. Any board member who wishes separate discussion on any item listed on the consent agenda may remove that item from the consent agenda, in which event, the item will be considered in its normal sequence.
- *Approval of Minutes:
- Plenary Minutes: February 19, 2014
- *Rules for Initial Review
- Part 25 (Educator Licensure):
Includes new Section 25.355, which sets forth requirements for the revised superintendent’s endorsement to be issued beginning in 2019.
- Part 33 (Programs for the Preparation of Superintendents in Illinois): This new Part sets forth requirements for programs that prepare superintendents and addresses admission, curricular and staff criteria, as well as the standards for program approval and the competencies that candidates should master in order to qualify for the endorsement.
- *Rules for Adoption
- Part 1 (Public Schools Evaluation, Recognition and Supervision): Makes technical changes to conform the rules to the new licensure system that took effect July 1, 2013, and acknowledges changes in receipt of the elementary education and middle grades endorsements. Two letters of public comment were received on this rulemaking, although no changes are being recommended in response to the comments received. Therefore, the version being presented for adoption is identical to the version the Board initially reviewed in December.
- Part 25 (Educator Certification):Responds to recently enacted statutory changes and makes other technical changes; eliminates the limit on the number of times a licensure candidate or applicant may take a required test; and proposes minimum scores to be used for the ACT and SAT writing components that are comparable to the minimum writing score on the Illinois test of basic skills. Thirty-one letters of public comment were received on this rulemaking; several change are being recommended as a result of the comments.
- Part 30 (Programs for the Preparation of Principals in Illinois): Proposes flexibility in requirements specific to internship sites and the number of candidates for which a mentor has responsibility; responds to P.A. 97-581, effective August 27, 2013, regarding the content-area test. Forty-one letters of public comment were received on this rulemaking; one change is being recommended as a result of the comments.
- *Contracts and Grants Over $1 Million
- Approval of Illinois State University Intergovernmental Agreement Extension Exceeding $1 Million
- Request to Award Contract: FY15 ELL Professional Development
- *Targeted Initiatives Grants
- Request to Award Grant: Oak Park ESD 97
- Request to Award Grant: Wiley Resource Center, NFP
- Approval of Closed Session Minutes, November 22, 2013, January 22, 2014 and February 19, 2014 (as needed following closed session)
- Financial Profile
- Special Education Expenditure/Revenue Report
- Discussion Items .
- District Oversight – Monthly Update (Superintendent Koch)
- Legislative Update
- Other items for discussion
- Announcements and reports
- Superintendent's/Senior Staff Announcements
- Chairman's Report
- Member Reports
- Information items
- ISBE Fiscal & Administrative Monthly Reports (available online at http://isbe.net/board/fiscal_admin_rep.htm)
- Closed Session (as needed)
Break for Lunch
This meeting will be accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons planning to attend who need special accommodations should contact the Board office no later than the date prior to the meeting. Contact the Superintendent's office at the State Board of Education, Phone: 217-782-2221; TTY/TDD: 217-782-1900; Fax: 217-785-3972.
NOTE: Chairman Chico may call for a break in the meeting as necessary in order for the Board to go into closed session.