ILLINOIS STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
State Board of Education Meeting
via video conference
Thursday, August 18, 2011
ISBE Video Conference Room, James R. Thompson Center
14th Floor, 100 W. Randolph, Chicago, IL
ISBE Video Conference Room, 3rd Floor
100 N. First Street, Springfield, IL
This meeting will also be audio cast on the Internet at: www.isbe.net
- Roll Call/Pledge of Allegiance (Times are estimated and are for planning purposes only)
- Consideration of and Possible Actions on Any Requests for Participation in Meeting by Other Means
- Public Participation 9:00 – 9:30 a.m.
- Resolutions & Recognition
- Superintendent’s Report - Consent Agenda 9:30 – 9:45 a.m.
All action consideration items listed with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted in one motion and vote. Any board member who wishes separate discussion on any item listed on the consent agenda may remove that item from the consent agenda, in which event, the item will be considered in its normal sequence.
- *Approval of Minutes:
- Plenary Minutes: June 16, 2011 (pp. 3-11)
- Board Operations Committee of the Whole: June 16, 2011 (pp. 12-14)
- Education Policy Planning Committee of the Whole: June 15, 2011 (pp. 15-17)
- Finance & Audit Committee of the Whole: June 15, 2011 (pp. 18-19)
- Governmental Relations Committee of the Whole: June 15, 2011 (pp. 20-22)
- *Rules for Adoption
- Part 1 (Public Schools Evaluation, Recognition and Supervision) (pp. 23-35)
- Part 228 (Transitional Bilingual Education) (Robin Lisboa) (pp. 36-40)
- Part 25 (Certification) (Linda Jamali, Vicki Phillips) (pp. 41-125)
- Part 75 (Incentive Grants for Agricultural Science Teacher Education) (Mark Williams) (pp. 126-155)
- *Contracts and Grants Over $1 Million
- I-KAN ROE 32 (Iroquois-Kankakee) Grant Agreement for Induction for the 21st Century Educator (ICE 21) Teacher Quality Grant (pp. 156-157)
- Truants Alternative Optional Education Programs (TAOEP) Grant Awards (pp. 158-160)
- Early Childhood Block Grant Awards (Cindy Zumwalt) (pp. 160-163)
- RFP for Prevention Initiative Technical Assistance & Training Birth to Three (pp. 164-165)
- *Teacher Certification Board Appointments (Linda Tomlinson) (pp. 166-168)
End of Consent Agenda
- Acceptance of the A-133 Statewide Single Audit Report (Melissa Oller) (pp. 169-170) 9:45 – 10:00 a.m.
- Discussion Items .
- Legislative Update (Nicole Wills, Cynthia Riseman, Darren Reisberg) (pp. 171-187) 10:00 – 10:10 a.m.
- District Oversight – Monthly Update (Superintendent Koch, John Perkins) (pp. 188-200) 10:10 – 10:30 a.m.
- Retreat Planning (Superintendent Koch) (pp. 201-202) 10:30 – 10:40 a.m.
- NASBE Annual Meeting (pp. 203-213) 10:40 – 10:45 a.m.
- Other Items for Discussion
- Announcements 10:45 – 11:45 a.m.
- IBHE Liaison Report (Dr. Proshanta Nandi) 10:45 – 10:55 a.m.
- P-20 Council Liaison Report (Joyce Karon) 10:55 – 11:05 a.m.
- Superintendent’s/Senior Staff Announcements 11:05 - 11:15 a.m.
- Chairman’s Report 11:15 - 11:25 a.m.
- Member Reports 11:25 – 11:45 a.m.
- Break for lunch 11:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- Closed Session 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.
- Reconvene (No action will be taken following closed session.)
This meeting will be accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons planning to attend who need special accommodations should contact the Board office no later than the date prior to the meeting. Contact the Superintendent's office at the State Board of Education, Phone: 217-782-2221; TTY/TDD: 217-782-1900; Fax: 217-785-3972.
NOTE: Chairman Chico may call for a break in the meeting as necessary in order for the Board to go into closed session.