Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 4:01 PM
To: STATESUP
Subject: Weekly Message from Interim State Superintendent Randy J. Dunn 10-29-04
SUPERINTENDENT’S MESSAGE FOR

Good afternoon,

For some of you who have kidded me about the length of these messages, you’ll be getting a bit of a break today—at least for my portion of the Weekly Message.

For most of Thursday and all of Friday, I am involved with the Teachers Retirement System Board of Trustees meeting. Those demands will cause my message today to be about as brief as it’s been to date.

However, I can’t let today pass without extending my condolences to all the St. Louis Cardinal fans throughout the state, especially to my friends in southern . At least it was over quickly. And as they say, there’s always next year . . .

Randy J. Dunn

State Superintendent of Education (Interim)

statesup@isbe.net

Also in today’s message:

2003-2004 Performance Report Available in IWAS

Urgent! The 2003-2004 Performance Report is now available for completion in IWAS. All public school districts or entities in that received Title funds in school year 2003-2004 (Title I, Title II, Title III, Title IV and/or Title V) must complete this report. It is due no later than 5 p.m. . ISBE then will assemble the data and complete a federal report on December 1. If you have questions, please call the Division of Federal Grants and Programs at 217-524-4832 or e-mail to mmason@isbe.net.

21st Programs and SES

In follow-up to questions we’ve received from districts, the 21st Century Community Learning Center programs do not qualify as Supplementary Educational Services (SES) under federal regulations. Districts operating 21st Century Community Learning Center programs with federal funds may not substitute these programs for required Supplementary Educational Services programs at Title I schools failing to make AYP for three or more consecutive years.

21st Century funds are awarded to serve students and parents specifically as described in each district’s approved proposal. SES programs must be funded either from set-aside money as required in the district's Title I application, or from the district's general funds. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Division of Federal Grants and Programs at 217-524-4832 or e-mail to cwalczak@isbe.net

Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Standards – Public Comment

A draft version of the Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Standards and a review form will be on the ISBE website . The public comment time will end .  The SEL standards were written as part of the Children’s Mental Health Act of 2003 (Public Act 93-0495).  The goals, standards and benchmarks for Social Emotional Learning are in a format similar to the Illinois Learning Standards. An introduction will be available to explain the intent of the standards and benchmarks.

Teams of writers have worked to provide the best set of standards possible and your comments are important in the process of adopting the SEL Standards. School personnel should access the review through the IWAS system.  Other organizations and individuals can use the online version found on the home page of the ISBE website www.isbe.net

Teacher and Administrator Salary Information Notice

In the near future, ISBE will release individual teacher and administrator salaries to those individuals and organizations who have requested these data. We are required to provide such information pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act. We are advising you that the salary data will happen soon. You may receive follow-up inquiries on the salary data from the media and other organizations.

Winter Weather Preparedness Week

November 14-20 has been designated the 2004 Winter Weather Preparedness Week. This week is observed to highlight the importance of knowing what steps to take before, during and after winter weather strikes.

A copy of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) Winter Weather Preparedness booklet is available at http://www.state.il.us/iema/Prep/Winter%20Storm-04-booklet.pdf

Teacher and Administrator Fulbright Exchange Program Winners

In celebration of International Education Week , the Illinois State Board of Education congratulates the Illinois Teacher and Administrator Fulbright Exchange Program award winners, their hosting schools and visiting educators from other countries. Please visit http://www.isbe.net/pdf/fulbright_awardees.pdf for a list and additional information.

Lay Burroughs Award Nominations

The State Board of Education invites you to nominate your local board president for the Lay Burroughs Award for the State's Outstanding School Board President.

This award was created in 1991 in memory of the late ISBE chairman and is presented annually at the IASB/IASA/IASBO conference in . This year’s conference will be held November 19-21 and the award will be presented Sunday morning, November 21.

Submit nominations to the address listed below by the close of business on . You may fax your nomination to 217/785-3972 to meet that deadline, and then follow with a hard copy for receipt after November 5.  If you have questions, call Jean Ladage or at 217/557-6626.

For nomination information and format please go to: http://www.isbe.net/pdf/burroughs_award.pdf

Please mail nomination materials to:

Jean Ladage

Office of Board Services

State Board of Education

Those Who Excel Nominations

Recognize the unsung heroes of your school or district! Information and nomination forms for the 2004-05 Those Who Excel program are online at www.isbe.net/those_who_excel.htm. Please call Ann Muraro at 217/782-4648 for a paper copy.

Equal Employment Information for Students

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has developed a special Youth @ Work initiative to help educate teens about their employment rights. Schools and students may visit http://youth.eeoc.gov for more information.

Weekly Newsclips

http://www.isbe.net/news/2004/newsclips/041029.htm