English Language Learning
Bilingual Teacher Recruitment and Certification Resource Links
The purpose of this page is to identify and consolidate resources for students, teachers and administrators as they relate to the identification, recruitment, preparation and certification of teachers providing services to English language learners (ELL).
Please visit the Certification web pages for complete requirements. New information will be added as it becomes available, so please visit us periodically.
Interested Spanish speakers seeking practice in taking the Basic Skills Test may contact:
- Mexican Consulate
204 South Ashland Avenue Chicago, IL 60607
For detailed information contact Educator Certification at 217-557-6763.
- Descriptions of Qualifications and Certificates for Teaching English Language Learners
- Necessary Qualifications to Teach Content Area in the Native Language by Grade Level
- Necessary Qualification to Teach English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Illinois Certification Testing System (ICTS) website
- Highly Qualified Status for Type 29 teachers
- Bilingual Special Education Approval Information
- Certification Application Information
- Certification for Individuals Educated in Foreign Countries
- Universities Offering ESL/Bilingual Coursework
- Forms for the Bilingual, ESL, Bilingual Special Education Approval and Transitional Bilingual
- State Teacher Certification Board Meeting Schedule
- Educator Certification System (ECS)
Financial Assistance and Resources for Students Interested in Teaching
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Illinois Future Teacher Corps (IFTC) Program (formerly the David A. DeBolt Teacher Shortage Scholarship Program)
- Illinois Golden Apple High School Student Scholars Program
- Illinois Student Assistance Commission
- iTransfer.org - Community College Courses Accepted by Illinois Teacher Training Institutions
Bilingual Courses, Workshops and Teacher Preparation Opportunities
- Programs Addressing Early Childhood and Bilingual/ESL
- Regional Offices of Education and Intermediate Service Centers - Professional development programs.
- Spanish Teacher Exchange Program
- Directory of Approved Programs for the Preparation of Educational Personnel in Illinois Institutions of Higher Education
- Bilingual/ESL Approval Courses - Illinois Resource Center, Arlington Heights, IL, 224/366-8555
- Illinois Resource Center